As of September 2021, all Ethnic & Gender (E&G) offices are open to support your student success and needs. Please check individual websites for specific, operational hours and contact info. Masks are required indoors at all times and proof of completion of Daily Wellness Survey is required to enter all E&G offices. In order to keep us all safe, we also ask that you please continue to wash your hands, maintain physical distance, and all other health measures to reduce risk. We look forward to connecting soon.
Provides educational, cultural and society support for Asian Pacific students.
It's All for You
Participate in the Lunar New Year Festival. Celebrate API Heritage Month. Help organize a workshop. Get paired with a peer mentor to help you adjust to college life. Apply for a work-study job. Use our computers for your next paper. Hang out between classes. Attend a cultural show. Join a student group. Ask questions, and get answers. Build leadership skills. Sing at Karaoke night. Most of all, get involved, and have fun!
To participate in or help organize any programs and services below, stop by 244 Costo Hall, or contact Esther Kim at (951) 827-7272 or email@example.com
Asian American Programs, Services and Organizations
Generasian Womxn's Conference
A one-day conference held in winter quarter specifically focusing issues that target the intersectionalities of identities of being an Asian Pacific Islander and a womxn. This conference reshapes and redefines this unique perspective and allows individuals to educate themselves through this lens of being an API womxn.
APSP works with other campus ethnic and gender offices to build community, establish positive working relationships and develop joint projects. Student leaders attend UCR’s Common Ground Retreat, where student leaders from various backgrounds gather to define points of connection and develop collective responses to issues affecting UCR.
Cultural & Education Programs
APSP partners with the Asian Pacific Islander Student Advisory Counsel (APISAC) and student volunteers to present a variety of cultural and educational programs throughout the year that celebrate and raise awareness of current and historical API experiences. We welcome your ideas and participation – attend, help organize, participate and have fun!
- Asian Pacific Islander Heritage Month – Participate in this month-long celebration to honor our heritage each May. Activities have included karaoke, drummers, luaus, musical and dance productions, open-mic nights, banquets, guest speakers, games, discussions and cultural shows.
- Fall Welcome – Help APSP kick off the new academic year and welcome new students with music, student organization tables and friendly smiles.
- Film Screenings & Movie Nights – Grab the popcorn and join us for movies – sometimes just for fun and sometimes to screen culturally significant films for thought, discussion and support of Asian American, Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander artists.
- Finals Week Study Breaks – Join other students during finals week for some much-needed breaks. Laugh, have fun, unwind and then get back to work.
- Guest Speakers – Hear guest speakers throughout the year present information on an array of topics related to Asian American, Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander issues and celebrations.
- Hump Day Celebration – Join the potluck, music and fun as we celebrate the middle day of the middle week of the middle quarter as the halfway point in the academic year. This celebration also marks the beginning of the recruitment, hiring and training cycle for the following year's student staff and volunteers.
- Leadership & Service Awards Banquet – Come together each June to honor student leaders who have dedicated their time and talents to help others.
- Lunar New Year Festival – Bring in the Lunar New Year with this annual festival featuring performances, games, a night market and more.
- Socials – Meet new friends and bond with old ones at our socials. With or without ice cream, it's a great way to get to know each other.
- Trips – APSP has organized special trips to places such as the annual Manzanar Pilgrimage, which is held the last Saturday of April at the Manzanar National Historic site, approximately 210 miles north of Los Angeles.
- Workshops – Teach or attend workshops throughout the year on topics such as time management, career planning, parental pressures, origami and more.
Internships & Student Coordinator Opportunities
Apply for employment at APSP as a student coordinator or volunteer and build your resume with work experience and new skills. We also occasionally get internship leads and pass them on to our student workers.
Peer Mentor Program
Peer Mentors help first-year and transfer students make a smooth adjustment to college life and culture, direct them to UCR resources, and help them discover opportunities for personal, academic and social growth. Get paired up with a peer mentor or become a peer mentor to help other students.
Student Organizations Affiliated with APSP
Joining a student organization is the fastest way to get connected, make a difference in various causes, and have a voice in determining campus activities. Check out the student organizations that are affiliated with APSP below.
- 909 – Hip-Hop Dance Troupe
- Asian Pacific Islander Student Advisory Council (APISAC) – This council is a forum for direct exchange between APSP and UCR’s API student organizations.
- AF3IRM – Action/Political
- Alpha Kappa Delta Phi – Fraternity/Sorority
- Alpha Phi Omega – Service
- Bengali Student Alliance (BSA) – Cultural
- Chinese Martial Arts Club (CMAC) – Competitive/Sports Teams
- Chinese Student Association (CSA) – Cultural
- Filipino Martial Arts Club – Competitive/Sports Team
- Filipinos in Health Science (FIHS) – Academic/Professional
- Hallyu at UCR – Cultural
- Hanoori Korean Student Association – Cultural
- Hmong Student Association (HSA) – Cultural
- Karate Club – Competitive/Sports Teams
- Katipunan Pilipino Student Organization – Cultural
- Model Minority Theatre Collective at UCR – Arts
- Nikkei Student Union – Cultural
- Oceania Dance Club – Arts
- Origami Club – Arts
- Pacific Islander Student Alliance (PISA) – Cultural
- Pakistani Student Association – Cultural
- Pi Delta Psi – Fraternity/Sorority
- Pilipino Studies Collective (PST) – Cultural
- Queer Association of Asian Pacific Islanders – Cultural
- Senryu Taiko – Arts & Expression
- Sikh Student Association – Cultural
- South Asian Federation – Action/Political
- Students For Chinatown – Action/Political
- Thai Student Union – Cultural
- Vietnamese Student Association (VSA) – Cultural
To find out about these student organizations, contact APSP at (951) 827-7272, stop by 244 Costo Hall of visit studentlife.ucr.edu.